Products / Baby / Gear / Rocker
Edition Reviewed: Standard Rock n Play - Review product received courtesy of the Fisher Price and MomSelect, many thanks to both for sending me a rocker to review!
Perfect for : Use with new baby, Gift, Baby Shower
My Thoughts: This is a wonderful new product that has been tremendously helpful over the past few weeks with our new baby
Things that I love about the Rock n Play Sleeper:
* It is easy to put together
* It is very portable, both around the house and to other destinations (book club, grandparents, etc)
* It is designed so that the cover can be easily removed and washed as needed
* It has a small pocket at the head of the rocker that can hold a few small things such as an extra diaper, wipes, a Binky, a burp cloth, etc.
* The seat is inclined, which seems to calm our baby more than the flat surface of the crib
* It can be used as a bed-side sleeper for baby so that you always have him/her near
* It is easy to gently rock with your foot or hand
* It is easy to use next to a chair or couch so you aren't having to go to another room to put baby down when he/she is sleeping
* Our baby LOVES to be held! In fact, he doesn't seem to like to be put down and will fuss and cry when put in his crib. This makes getting things done around the house really hard... BUT, I've found that he will sleep in the Rock n Play Sleeper, which allows me to get a few things done!
Things I'd like to see added:
* I do wish the small pocket at the head of the rocker was a little bigger. I always seem to need just a little more room for storage of blankets, more than one or two diapers, etc.
* I would love to see the ability to add soothing vibration to the rocker that you can find on some other baby items.
And now... a little about me and how I've been able to use the Rock n Play Sleeper by Fisher Price:
In 2006 we had our first baby who was born one month early. I learned about the increase in risks and health concerns for preemies, which really gave me the desire to have the baby in the same room with me day and night.
I just gave birth early to another healthy and beautiful boy January 31st, after making it most of the way through a high-risk pregnancy just to have last minute complications throw in more challenges.
I had surgery at 13 weeks into the pregnancy and it went very well, but I was put on medical restrictions (lifting, etc). Things went better than expected, then on January 31st, we found out that I had severe pre-eclampsia (a pregnancy related hypertension problem that I could have died from). I was told I was lucky I had called the doctor and come in for observation. There was an emergency c-section and now I am dealing with the recovery.
The doctors are very impressed with how both baby and I are doing (both are recovering much better than expected), but they have placed restrictions on my activity and are asking family to ensure that someone is always home with me until my blood pressure returns to normal and my blood count improves (as well as normal issues from having a c-section!), which could be many weeks.
:) Now to get to the point. In trying to problem-solve sleeping arrangements and having the desire to keep baby within my sight around the clock, the new Fisher-Price Rock N Play Sleeper seems to be a perfect product for our family and circumstances, providing us with the benefits of keeping baby safe and near, as well as the added ability to work with my short-term physical and medical requirements. I'm able to move the sleeper on my own as it is only a few pounds, and it is a nice height for use next to the couch and/or bed.
One more huge benefit I've found while testing/using the Rock n Play Sleeper is going to other people's homes. The sleeper is easy to fold, transport and set-up, allowing me to have a place to put baby when he is not being held.
So, to wrap things up, I love the ability to have baby in the same room with me (including when we go to bed) by using the Rock n Play Sleeper, which fits nicely next to both the couch (during the day) and the bed (during the night). It is easy to travel with, and it has some great safety features (inclined, deep so baby can't accidentally roll out). I just wish the storage pocket was a little bigger!
About the Rock n Play Sleeper: (From Fisher Price)
Soothe, sleep or play night or day!
The Newborn Rock ’n Play Sleeper is a nighttime sleeper and playtime seat all in one! And it’s the only infant seat that meets industry safety standards for bassinets. So besides using it as a perfect place for baby to rock (with a gentle push from you!) and play during the day, you can also use it as a place for baby to sleep at night. It has an inclined seat, which makes sleeping more comfortable for babies who need their head elevated. Other features include three-point restraint to keep baby secure, a toy bunny for soothing and entertaining, and a washable insert for comfort and support. Plus it’s very lightweight, so it’s easy to move around the house.
Maximum weight: 25 lbs. (11,3 kg)
Developmental Guidelines: Use from birth until child is able to pull up or sit unassisted.
Better for Baby
• Comfortable incline for babies who need it.
Better for Mom
• Goes anywhere—folds flat for storage and portability!
• So convenient—take it from room to room!
• Versatile—baby can even sleep overnight in it.