HomeAbout Me & PoliciesBook Reviews by TitleAuthor Interview IndexProduct ReviewsAwards

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Eat Your Heart Out (Family Fun Magazine, 2010): Yummy Layered Geletin Dessert Perfect For Valentine's Day!

I made this last year with my then three year old son, and it was a huge hit, so I thought I'd share it this year in the hopes that a few of you might join me in making it this year.

We had a little trouble getting the gelatin layers out of the pan we made it in, and later I found that if I warmed up the bottom of the pan by running warm water on the outside, they came out a little easier/cleaner.  Otherwise, I had some bits stick to the pan and the cookie cutter.  I did the same with the cookie cutter.  I tried to keep it warm/clean by rinsing it in warm water between each cut.

If you end up making this, let me know how you like it and if you did anything different!


Eat Your Heart Out:
Family Fun Magazine

February, 2010


From Family Fun: This lovely dessert is easily assembled by chilling layers of gelatin and condensed milk. Even sweeter, it's low-fat.

Ingredients

* 1 (14-ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
* 3 (3-ounce) packages of red flavored gelatin

* 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes of unflavored gelatin

Instructions

1. Dissolve one package of flavored gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water. Add 3/4 cup cold water, then pour the mixture into a 9- by 13-inch glass pan and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Stir together 1/2 cup boiling water and the condensed milk. In a separate bowl, dissolve all the unflavored gelatin in ½ cup cold water for 1 to 2 minutes. Thoroughly mix in 3/4 cup boiling water, then combine this mixture with the milk and let it cool. Add half the mixture to the pan of red gelatin, pouring it over a spatula to slow the stream, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

3. Continue alternating layers — gelatin mix, the remaining milk mix, the final gelatin mix — chilling each for 20 to 30 minutes to set it. Create individual servings with a heart-shaped biscuit or cookie cutter.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Web Site Hit Counter
Amazing Counters