HomeAbout Me & PoliciesBook Reviews by TitleAuthor Interview IndexProduct ReviewsAwards

Monday, July 25, 2011

Two Easy Ways to Make Your Own Butter At Home (Great For Flavored Butter and Kids Activities)

This weekend the boys and I made butter at home by hand... and we loved it... and it is SO easy!  My sister-in-law originally laughed at what we were doing, then after tasting our butter with chives, promised to never laugh at our butter creations again!  ;)

We made regular butter, and butter with chives, then stored them in small containers.

There are two ways of making your own butter (that I know of), by shaking a container by hand, or by using a mixer.  I have not tried the mixer method, but here is a great post from Free Range Living on making butter with a mixer, as well as some additional tips.

Here's how to make it via shaking it by hand...

What you will need to make your own butter: 


A jar or container that has a tightly closing lid
Heavy Cream (sometimes called Heavy Whipping Cream)
Salt (optional)
Other ingredients to make flavored butter (these are ideas only)
     chives
     garlic
     honey
     lemon
     dill
     sundried tomatoes

Directions


1. If you want a flavored butter, put any ingredients into your container
2. Pour your heavy cream into the container until it is about 2/3 full (you need room in the container for it to make whipping cream which will then turn into butter, but it gets nice and fluffy first)
3. Close the lid tightly and begin shaking it.
         ** this is the part the kids generally love to help with... they just pass it back and forth **
4. Before it turns into butter, it will turn into really smooth and fluffy whipping cream, so don't stop here, keep shaking!
5. You know you are done when the butter suddenly starts separating from the whey and you end up with a light colored liquid (butter milk) and the slightly more yellow butter.
6. Drain the butter milk from the container, replace the lid and shake just a little more, drain again.
7. Your butter is ready to use! 

Chive Butter Made By Hand With The Kids (1 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old boys)

Here is our chive butter, which was wonderful on toasted bread!

There are endless possiblities as far as flavoring your butter, so I hope you will stop by and let me know what flavors you have made!

This is also a great kids activity at a party or pre-school. The kids love the process and then can eat some with bread or scones (pancakes, mashed potatoes, etc) and take credit for making it!

Here is a great place to find ideas on flavors for your butter from Taste of Home's Community Forum: Look! Over 60 Flavored Butter Recipes Inside!

9 Comments:

Sadie said...

Oh my goodness. That looks delicious!! lol I should not have opened this. Now I'm hungry!

MusingMom6 said...

Oh my! It sounds wonderful! I've never made butter but I have added seasonings and created spreads.

Sounds like a good kid fun activity
too!

Unknown said...

I had no idea you could make butter!
I will have to try this out.

Karen said...

On Blog Frog, you should be able to get your link under the ME section, or a widget for your blog under the Widget section. Also, if you go to Community owners, there is a long Q&A section that will tell you how to embed your community as a page on your blog. If you go to the Admin section and enable advertising, they will pay you $3.50 for every 1000 visitors that view the page. Let me know if you need any help!

Karen

Anonymous said...

I'm going to do this on Friday- LOVE it- I can't believe all those years living in farm country I never knew you could shake your butter! I love garlic lemon butter- that's what I'll try! Thank you:)

Amanda said...

This sounds wonderful! I myself didn't realize either you could make butter.. this is now on my to do list :)

Unknown said...

we LOVED this! made "Garlic herb butter" and omgoodness it smells gooooood! cant wait for dinner time to test it out! We will definitely try the mixer idea next time too, cause my kids arms definitely didnt last long so you know who got to have the rest of the fun by myself lol.. Awesome fun thanks!

Wendy said...

What a great idea! My kids would love to do this.

Wendy
Around My Family Table

SuperSaverMama said...

This looks phenomenal!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Web Site Hit Counter
Amazing Counters