HomeAbout Me & PoliciesBook Reviews by TitleAuthor Interview IndexProduct ReviewsAwards

Monday, May 11, 2009

Tuesday Thinger: Reviews

Welcome to another week of Tuesday Thingers! We always love to hear from regular participants as well as new people.

This week, I had a frequent Tuesday Thinger participant ask about reviews, so for some this might be a recap, for others, hopefully this will be helpful (and maybe one of these days I'll start a page of Thinger topics we've covered!). Margot - thank you for the question!!

I found entering reviews, or at least finding where to enter reviews very confusing when I first joined Library Thing because I expected a link on the book page that said "Add Your Review HERE" or some such thing. It probably took me over half an hour to find the instructions. SO - for those who aren't as familiar, when you add a book to your library, when you click on the book, a page comes up and on the left hand side of the screen will be some links. To add your review (and other information) you want to select the link for "Edit Book." Once on the new screen, you can scroll down a bit and add your star-rating (if you want), your review, and any other information you want.

There is also a link provided when you add a book to your library that says "Show Quick Edit" and if you select that, you can "Click to Review" and star your book, but beware - I tested it with the word "test" tonight and it saved it, but I spent a few hours not too long ago, adding all my recent books and reviews, and it never saved the reviews (yes - I clicked save!). :) So be sure and test it to make sure it is really saving your review.

Questions: Do you add your reviews to the books you add to your library? If so, do you put your full review on there, or a quick review (one - two paragraphs)? Do you find other people's reviews helpful? Do you know of any other ways to enter your reviews (Other than Edit Book, or Quick Edit)?

Are there any other special requests for upcoming topics?

My Answer:
As I said above, I was really thrown by finding out how to add my review when I first started using Library Thing, and finally had to look at the FAQ or similar topic for instructions on how to add a review (might have actually searched the forums).

I actually use my LT library as a reward for myself. I add my review to my blog first, then add it to Amazon, B&N, and GoodReads prior to adding it here on LT. I know that if I've added it to LT then I've uploaded it to the other sites. :)

I generally add my full review on all the sites, but when I'm REALLY behind on posting my reviews (like now), I do sometimes just put my "In a Nutshell" portion of the review on the book's page.

I do find other people's reviews helpful, as I sometimes gain insight into what the book is about (more than the description on the back cover). I realize that I may not agree with all the reviews out there, but in general, I really enjoy reading other reviews.

Hee Hee - I really did spend hours one night adding books from my blog onto LT and I used the Quick Edit function to save each review only to find out later that due to a glitch (hopefully), none of my reviews saved, so now I need to go back and add them again. I will certainly try the Quick Edit feature again.

Looking forward to reading everyone's answers!!

~ Wendi

If you are new to Tuesday Thingers: Welcome! The meme was originally created as a way to network with other bloggers and to learn about Library Thing! I'd like to encourage you to join us. If you don't know what Library Thing is - you are in a great place to learn about new things, and if you are an old pro, stick around and share your wealth of information! Visit Library Thing here. To join in, copy the picture and question into your post and link back here so people can read other responses. Make sure you leave a comment here with a link to your post so we can stop by! If you don't have a blog, feel free to leave a comment here!

13 Comments:

Margot said...

Hooray! Two months after joining Library Thing I finally know one of the answers! Well, it helped that I posed the question.

My first post is here: http://joyfullyretired.com/2009/05/11/tuesday-thinger/

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Wendi, I agree, LT needs to make it much more simple to post a review. I've only done it 5 or 6 times and have to go through an annoying process each time because I've forgotten how. I only post reviews for ARCs received from LT or other sources.

bermudaonion said...

It was hard to figure out how to add reviews to LT. I usually add most of my review there.

Jennifer Taylor said...

Have you tried www.shelfari.com? It's a great book review site where you might be able to also post your reviews.

caite said...

{{GASP!!}} she said the 'S" word! shelfari indeed....

HERE is my post. I just hope that I can find my way back to my own blog now...

Anonymous said...

It certainly isn't easy to work out how to enter a review,but I wonder if it might be intentional. With free membership available wouldn't it be so easy to abuse the system to promote a book a book?

Lenore Appelhans said...

Got one up this week!

Elena said...

Oddly enough, I didn't find it difficult at all to start posting reviews to LibraryThing.

Nor have I had any problems with the Quick Edit feature.

jlshall said...

A little late again, but my post is here.

Mari said...

I know it has been awhile but here is my answer for this weeks question.

http://marireads.blogspot.com/2009/05/tuesday-thingers-reviews.html

Alea said...

Here's mine!

Do you add your reviews to the books you add to your library? If so, do you put your full review on there, or a quick review (one - two paragraphs)? Do you find other people's reviews helpful? Do you know of any other ways to enter your reviews (Other than Edit Book, or Quick Edit)?

Iryna said...

I just wanted to say thanks for commenting on my blog and providing me with a link! I'm sorry to hear about the review saving glitch. Don't you just hate when things like that happen? I can't believe you're not tearing your hair out!

Florinda said...

Tuesday Thingers on Friday, in which I share another way to enter reviews :-).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Web Site Hit Counter
Amazing Counters