HomeAbout Me & PoliciesBook Reviews by TitleAuthor Interview IndexProduct ReviewsAwards

Monday, October 5, 2009

Tuesday Thinger: Tagmash!

Welcome to another week of Tuesday Thingers! We always love to hear from regular participants as well as new people.

This week's Thinger topic is another great topic from Caite, over at A Lovely Shore Breeze, who suggested we take a peek into Tagmash this week. :)

Ever wanted to search for a book based on tags? Well, according to the Library Thing Tagmash WikiThing (instructions), the Tagmash feature lets you search for books using two or more tags. The great thing?? You can specify tags to include with a +, and those to exclude with a -.

Tim, over on the Library Thing Blog wrote up a great post here. He talks about some of the basics of using Tagmash, but also introduces us to a new feature called Tagmash Overlap ~ which (if I understand correctly) shows you tagmashes that occur within your shelves, based on how others have tagged the same books. Sound confusing?? If you are logged in, click here to check it out for yourself. This feature is also shown on your Profile statistics page.

Questions: Have you searched for books using the Tagmash feature on the search page? If you took a look at the Tagmash Overlap, what did you think? Anything surprising pop up under the tagmashes? Any suggestions for next week's topic?

My Answer:
You know, I had noticed that you could search tags, but didn't really understand the benefit until Caite sent me an email suggesting the Tagmash as a subject of Thingers. Then it hit me ~ like a ton of bricks! If I enjoy the Pride and Prejudice books, I can search tags for +pride and prejudice, +fiction, and up pops a great list of books - some I've read and MANY I haven't! What a great feature!

I recently read a really great paranormal romance that took the classic King Arthur legend of the Holy Grail and threw in a mixture of paranormal romance, so I did a search of tags for +historical fiction, +paranormal and got another great list of books.

I can see how this feature will really come in handy and cause a huge increase in my already large wishlist!

Looking forward to reading everyone's answers!!

~ Wendi

If you are new to Tuesday Thingers: Welcome! The meme was originally created as a way to network with other bloggers and to learn about Library Thing! I'd like to encourage you to join us. If you don't know what Library Thing is - you are in a great place to learn about new things, and if you are an old pro, stick around and share your wealth of information! Visit Library Thing here. To join in, copy the picture and question into your post and link back here so people can read other responses. Make sure you leave a comment here with a link to your post so we can stop by! If you don't have a blog, feel free to leave a comment here!

10 Comments:

caite said...

After missing a week, I am back and HERE is my post. Another fascinating time waster!! lol

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Well, I will definitely have to visit. I only briefly explored Library Thing and added my books. That's all I've done so far.

Sounds like a lot more to learn!

bermudaonion said...

I've never searched with Tagmash because I never knew anything about it. It sounds like a great feature!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I've never used Library Thing. Sounds like a great and useful feature, particularly if you are looking for books to read!

Booklogged said...

I see this as a truly dangerous tool! I found lists of books when I searched for mystery & Victorian. So many great titles. This could topple my book stacks in all directions. Where will I walk?

Heather G. said...

I just joined up for Library Thing! So I'm really excited to see how it all works! Thanks for the info.

Wyn said...

This is the first time I've seen this. Since it is Wednesday, I'm a day behind but I just may go ahead and play anyway. It sounds like such a neat idea and great for learning my way around the library net.

Anonymous said...

ok this is an awesome feature. so many bloody tags I'm going to take the whole afternoon looking through this. Thanks!

Chèli said...

I have been at LibraryThing for over two years and haven't used this feature yet. I still have too many of my own books to read I don't need to find more!

But wanted to know if you are reading the P&P sequels when you talk about Pride & Prejudice books? I read 10 last year and I know that there are loads more. Just wondering which you had read.

Chèli
Cheli's Shelves

Laura Baker said...

http://donurareads.blogspot.com/2011/03/tuesday-thinger.html is my answer to today's question. I am interested in what others have to say. I am constantly amazed at the tools that are created. I am sure that there will come a time when we just take this for granted as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Web Site Hit Counter
Amazing Counters